Post by Mohamed.
To make galvanized copper in the laboratory.
Chemicals / Equipment:
- 2 copper pieces (penny)
- Drain cleaner (approximately 50% NAOH or KOH)
- Galvanized nails or Zinc pellets
- Bunsen burner
- 2 Beakers
- Salt and vinegar
- Place the drain cleaner (NAOH) 30 mm in a beaker.
- Add Zinc pellets to NAOH solution.
- Add the two copper pennies into salt and vinegar solution to clean them, use the tong to remove them.
- Dip the clean pennies into NAOH and Zinc pellets solution; heat them gently with stable temperature for several minutes.
- After an hour check the pennies, when their color change, use the tong to rinse them with water to remove all traces of the drain cleaner.